DES MOINES — One Iowa Action, the political action arm of statewide LGBTQ rights group One Iowa, put out a call for people to get involved with LGBTQ Day on the Hill.
LGBTQ Day on the Hill is a focused day of lobbying on Iowa state legislators. It is scheduled for January 20.
“Our state has a strong legacy of equality, but some Iowans want to strip that legacy away from LGBTQ people,” One Iowa Action Executive Director Daniel Hoffman-Zinnel said in a statement on Tuesday. “It’s critical for LGBTQ Iowans and allies to come together and show legislators that this is not an option. By speaking to legislators at LGBTQ Day on the Hill, LGBTQ Iowans and allies will personalize these issues and show them their actions impact real people in our state.”
The schedule of events for the day includes:
- 8:30 a.m. – 9 a.m.: Registration and Material Pick-Up at the Henry A. Wallace Building
- 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.: “Talking to Your Legislator” Training
- 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.: March to the Capitol and Lunch
- 12 p.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Rally in the Rotunda (speakers announced soon)
- 12:30 p.m. – 3 p.m.: Meetings with Legislators
Those wishing to attend LGBTQ Day on the Hill can register to receive printed materials and a One Iowa Action t-shirt here.